Saturday, December 5, 2009

EASIER SAID THAN DONE

Hello,

I have been concentrating on being honest even for the most minute and insignificant issue and have faltered and stumbled a number of times.
I can justify my telling small white lies with the most logical reasons but I know that even the best reasons can not convert the lie into truth.
For example, in the morning today, a colleague asked me if I would like to have coffee. I wanted to real badly but I said no.
WHY? Why did I lie?
She is a nice middle aged Lebanese woman who frequently uses my help to get her office work done. She is helpful and helped me get my Driving Licence (this is a really big deal in Kuwait) and we give each other stuff (mainly exchanging Indian and Arabic sweets) when we return from vacations.
When we get breakfast or coffee we invite each other. My colleague makes sure that I reciprocate everytime she spends on such issues and will wait for my invitation and expenditure before inviting me again. I also make sure that the balance of expenses does not go askew.
Spending on a coffee and sandwich is not a big deal but the problem is that this lady then tom-toms about the fact and makes it appear as if she is the only one spending. Although I am sure she does this just to enhance her own image of being free with money and generous, her attitude makes other feel that I am always looking for a free meal.
I am somehow touchy about this and I have therefore decided that I will accept any food/drink invitation from her.
It is fine till here but I do not want to hurt her as we share a good relationship otherwise and therefore I have to be tactful when I decline her invitations.
So i lie.
I lied today and then felt bad about it. Such a small thing and I have to lie about it.
Following the path of speaking the truth is easier said than done.
Best regards,
Manoj

No comments: